Friday, November 22, 2013

This Might Be Scandalous

 “It’s handled!” The now famous affirmative statement known to ‘Gladiators’ the world over who are not only consumed by, but in love with Olivia Pope and the creator of Scandal, Shonda Rhimes.  I must admit as a big, burly, brash, angry, macho black man…I love the show!  For real, I’ve watched it from the first episode completely enamored with Olivia Pope, her style and sassiness but probably most of all, her get-it-doneness.  This show is about a black women getting it done…I mean seriously…getting it done!  She’s the ultimate fixer fixing the White elite’s problems while dawned in black skin and a white cape.  Every episode is filled with jaw-dropping drama, intrigue and a crazy-mad-love affair with the POTUS.

Now, I can write pages on the show and give a review on each episode but that isn’t the crux I’m faced with today…I actually got beef with my beloved Thursday night affair.  Last night, watching the “Vermont is for Lovers, too” episode we finally begin to get a deeper look into Liv’s family dynamic.  Per usual, the writing and acting was flawless, by far the best since the original ‘Dallas’ and ‘who shot J.R.’ but I couldn't help leaving the episode reflecting on the Pope family.
This affluent, accomplished Black family looked just as dysfunctional suffering from the stereotypical pathologies of poor and disenfranchised black families.  Absent father, self-absorbed, violent; Mom, angry, contentious relationship with Dad, psychotic and in prison. Then there’s Liv, privileged, independent, unstable, can’t maintain or build a functional relationship.  I became frightened at the thought that my favorite show that I call ‘our’ own could be victim to perpetuating a stereotypical image of another broken Black family...however fantastic.
Us ‘Gladiators’ know the love affair dynamic is pretty infectious.  From the first episode, with Liv blowing our minds as she was able to walk directly into the White House, wearing her Sheroic white coat, passing through security and into the oval office.  To the first kiss that made our jaws drop and then with the second…we hit the flo...she and President!  Granted, a passionate and irresistible love affair makes for great television…but…last night I started thinking.  How could she get with POTUS after learning he shot down the plane killing her Momma and conspired with her evil father!  Yea he built the crib for her but seriously... he killed yo mama!
Let’s forgo my momma loyalties for a minute and look again at the dynamic presented.  Perhaps I’m a bit sensitive after seeing ’12 Years a Slave’ but my thoughts went back to the historical placage relationships between white men and quadroon slave women who were courted at 'quadroon balls' to become a common law wife, without marital legal rights or social inclusion. But in these relationships, Massa would provide housing for his slave mate. Or even Patsey from ’12 Years a Slave’ who was adored by Massa but hated by Massa’s wife…hmm…Millie don’t like Liv too much either…
Ok…I said it and I’m sure Ms. Rhimes has no intention of portraying our shero in such a light as I’ve described.  Being of a community struggling with the demonization of our men, the hyper-sexualization of our women, the purposeful incarceration of our young and the scandalizing of our blackness, this subliminal imagery is all to familiar.  Perhaps, I’m just being to sensitive or maybe we’ve become too desensitized, nonetheless….I can’t wait for the next episode! #Gladiatorsrule

No comments:

Post a Comment